As electricians in the Hoddesdon area, we often get that phone call that starts with hello is that the electricians...I need help I can smell burning coming from my fuse board.
If you smell burning at your fuse board, it is important to take immediate action. This can be a sign of a serious electrical issue that requires urgent attention to prevent damage to your home and ensure your safety.
Here are some steps you can take if you smell burning at your fuse board:
- Turn off the power: The first thing you should do is turn off the power to your home by switching off the main circuit breaker. This will prevent any further damage or risk of fire until the source of the burning smell can be identified and resolved. It’s worth noting that your property should have a mains isolator fitted before the electrical meter. This would mean that if you did smell burning then the fuse board it’s self wouldn’t need to be touched. This would greatly assist in your safety and others if you did have an electrical fire. For further information on mains isolators follow the link https://www.jjb-electrical.com/blog/importance-mains-isolator-switch
- Call a qualified electrician immediately: Do not ignore or attempt to fix the issue yourself. Call a qualified electrician to come and assess the situation. A qualified electrician will be able to identify the cause of the burning smell and make any necessary repairs to the installation or replacement the consumer unit if needs be.
- Do not touch the fuse board: It is important that you do not touch or attempt to remove the fuse board cover or interfere with any of the wiring around it. This can be extremely dangerous under fault conditions and could cause further damage or risk of electrical shock to your self. Leave this to the electrician to handle they will know what to do.
- Ventilate the area: If the burning smell is strong, it is a good idea to ventilate the area by opening windows and doors. This will help to remove any fumes and reduce the risk of toxic gases building up and getting in your lungs.
- Stay safe: If the burning smell is accompanied by smoke or flames, evacuate your home immediately and call emergency services. Do not attempt to put out the fire yourself.
In summary, if you smell burning at your fuse board, it is important to act quickly and call a licensed electrician. Turning off the power and ventilating the area can help to reduce the risk of further damage, but do not attempt to fix the issue yourself. Remember to always prioritise your safety and call emergency services if necessary
If you’re worried about the condition or safety or your current consumer unit, Why not book in for a EICR to rule out any underlining issues and ensure the safety of you and your family. For further information on EICR’s please follow the link https://www.jjb-electrical.com/mainservice/eicr
Call us today to put your mind at ease 01992276087.